Présence francophone à Kamloops depuis 1979
L’Association Francophone de Kamloops (or AFK, translated as the Kamloops Francophone Association) works to promote and represent francophone language and culture in the Kamloops region, including the communities of Chase, Knutford, Logan Lake, and Merritt.
The services provided by the AFK include a French book and film library, a licensed daycare, a pre-school program, an after-school program for children ages 6 to 12, and French lessons. The AFK also coordinates a series of social events including get togethers for all ages and youth (ages 12 and up) and young adult (ages 30 and under).
AFK was founded in 1979 and its objectives are:
– To provide the community with services and programs in French;
– To offer French materials and resources outlining various services offered in British Columbia;
– To maintain a visible physical presence in the community;
– To actively promote activities focused on sharing French Culture and traditions;
– To provide a solid French network for children attending French schools and French Immersion programs in Kamloops and provide support to their families.
Board of Directors 2015/2016
President – Éric Villeneuve
Vice-President – Annick Côté
Secretary/Treasurer – Sylvie Zaharia
Directors: Andréanne Morriset, Christian Fouchet, Line Dijkstra, Luci-A Tremblay, Marjolaine Séguin, Gilles Viaud, Ron York, Vincent Lafontaine
Executive Director: Margo Mercier
Most of the programs and services are family oriented, and as such, very affordable. A newsletter is published three times a year. The members also received e-mail information on a regular basis. Most activities are publicly announced and the whole community and visitors are welcome to attend.
Regular activities held during the year
- Cultural Concert
- Rendez-vous de la francophonie (March)
- Sugar shack party (March) Cabane à sucre
- BBQ Saint-Jean-Batiste Day (June 24)
- Canada day (July 1)
- Corn roast (September)
- French Cinema (French films with English subtitles)
- Christmas party (first Saturday of December)
- Christmas Concert (December)
- During the year the AFK also organizes other events celebrating French culture. Everyone is always welcome to all our activities.
Activities organised for youth aged 12 and up and for young adults.
- French Book and video library
- Information desk and display
- Daycare: Chez Tintin et Milou is an educational centre certified by the British Columbia Community Care Facilities Licensing and operated by qualified ECE educators. The daycare offers services for children age 30 months to 5 years with a French immersion preschool program. Our mission is to create a secure and nurturing environment that will develop and guide the intellectual, social, emotional and physical growth of the child. Hours of operation: Monday to Friday: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. The daycare is closed on all statutory holidays. For more info click here
- Preschool Program: The French Preschool Program is a unique 10 month educational program. This program promotes the French language through play and books, puzzles, music, art and outdoor activities. Tuesday to Thursday: 8:30 am to 11:00 am.
- FrancoFun Program: The objectives of the program which includes the after school and summer programs are to allow the youths to have fun, create friendships and discover new things while using and improving their French. The children are immersed in the language through entertaining activities, including sports, outdoor excursions, crafts, thematic activities and more for a summer that is full of francophone adventures!
- French after school Program: This program is offered in French for students 6 to 10 years old enrolled in the French Immersion Program or at École Collines d’or. The program is designed to reinforce their speaking and comprehension skills in a fun environment. Students must be able to speak and understand French. Monday – Friday (Sept to June) 3 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. on school days. In-service days and Spring Break: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m
- French Summer Program: This program is for students 6 to 10 years old during the months of July and August. Students must be able to speak and understand French and currently attending a French immersion or Francophone school.
- Inscription_Registration – été_summer program
- Formulaire inscription_Registration – programme été_summer program
- French Course: You need to improve your French? Contact Gilles Lafleur 250-377-3732
Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information on our activities or services. We may be reached by phone at 250-376-6060 or by e-mail at email@example.com.